SHPE Boston Code of Ethics
Members of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers shall uphold and advance the integrity, honor and dignity of SHPE by: being honest and impartial and serving with fidelity our organization and our community; striving to increase the development of Hispanics in engineering, math, science, and other technical professions; and using their knowledge and skills for the advancement of Hispanics to achieve educational excellence, economic opportunity and social equity.
To achieve these goals, members shall:
- Act in a professional manner maintaining integrity and truthfulness and avoiding conflicts of interest.
- Respect and protect the privacy, rights and dignity of others and maintain confidentiality when required.
- Issue statements or present information only in an objective and truthful manner.
- Treat fairly all colleagues and co-members, recognizing their unique contributions and capabilities.
- Present a professional image in dress as well as behavior at all SHPE functions or while wearing the SHPE name and/or logo.
- Call attention to unprofessional, unethical or inappropriate behavior and notify the appropriate leadership or authority if such behavior continues or threatens the safety or welfare of others.
- Accept responsibility for their actions and recognize the contributions of others; seek critical review of their work and offer objective criticism of the work of others.
- Continue their professional development throughout their careers, and provide opportunities for the professional development of those that follow them.
- Be fiscally responsible with SHPE funds by spending within approved budgets and following financial guidelines set by the SHPE Inc. National Board of Directors, Local Region, Local Chapter, etc., as appropriate.
- Abide by the National Bylaws, policies, procedures and guidelines as established by SHPE Inc.