Director Infrastructure Engineering
Location: Boston, MA, US, 02110
Company: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Job Requisition ID: 3561
Curious? We get it. We are too.
Come work for a top technology company in an exciting Scrum / Agile development environment. Our Technology Group at HMH is a dynamic team of technology professionals dedicated to the nimble delivery of quality educational content for a digital age.
Not your traditional IT house, the Technology Group actively partners across HMH to develop applications and platforms across a diverse range of digital channels. That’s where the power of great design comes in. And as technology enables us to deliver educational content in new and different ways, smart and visually engaging design is more crucial than ever before in enabling an effective and delightful user experience.
The Director is a strategic position involving setting the strategy for LAN/WAN & wireless networks with management responsibility for a team of 8 engineers.
- Define, implement and maintain systems architecture and technology roadmaps for both internal and SaaS operations, including capacity planning and modeling to support short and longer term growth requirements
- Establish & manage metrics program (define, capture, report), and use to implement improvements to services with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Establish and maintain tight collaboration and strong working relationship with Security Operations to define, implement and maintain world-class security controls in a closed loop find-through-fix process
- Develop and manage annual operating and capital budgets
- Develop and implement Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plans for IT and SaaS infrastructure
- Manage vendors and partners who are key to the success of HMH
- Set strategy of LAN/WAN & wireless networks
- Support the corporate real estate team in the build out of state-of-the art office that enable true cross functional collaboration
- Manage a team of 8 engineers who are involved in planning, implementation, and operations
- Develop a strategy for Unified Communications across a very diverse set of users and hardware with a diverse set of needs
- Work closely with engineering staff and peers, to define and manage the strategic direction of Network and unified communications technology and solutions.
- Monitor network consumption, capacity constraints and trending as well as perform capacity planning to ensure appropriate growth and evolution of systems
- Consult with internal engineering groups to create and/or review requirements, functional specifications and detailed designs.
- Provide architectural leadership and evangelize good practices.
- Lead and manage the team, including hiring, mentoring, and professional development
- Manage a over 5 million dollar budget
- Maintain and stay abreast of technical advancements in primary functional areas of responsibility in order to manage the strategic direction of the team.
- Interpret customer requirements and facilitates appropriate solutions and support.
- Deliver clear concise communication collaboration strategy will be important in delivering good set of tools.
- Work with senior IT management to evaluate projects, establish priorities and communicate timelines to deploy technology solutions.
- Propose new technologies and lead discussion regarding networking and IP communications throughout the organization.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in network and telecom
- Minimum of 5 years managing network and telecom team
- BS in computer science or related engineering field
- Wide Area Network – Cisco
- Local Area Network – Cisco
- 802.11 Wireless LAN – Cisco
- Security Hardware (firewall configurations) – Cisco
- Remote Access hardware (Cisco, Juniper, Meraki)
- Audio Visual Systems (Polycom HDX series, Cisco MX series, Polycom HDX series,)
- Collaboration Software (Citrix GoTo, Lync)
- Audio Conferencing (Intercall)
- Cisco Voice Systems
- Cellular Wireless – 2500 lines across AT&T (primary) and Verizon
- Mobile Device Management – Airwatch
- Outsourced Contact Center
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children’s books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world. Follow HMH on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.