Entry level Civil Engineer (17000674)
MassDOT is seeking entry-level candidates who hold a B.S. and/or M.S. degree in Civil Engineering or in an appropriate engineering discipline. The Civil Engineer I position is the entry-level professional job within the Civil Engineering series.
Note: There are multiple positions available and these positions may rotate throughout the District Divisions (Construction, Maintenance, Project Development, Bridge, and Administration/ Operations) based on operational needs and/or candidate strengths.
The incumbents for these positions will prepare and review plans, specifications and cost estimates for engineering projects; prepare and/or review reports, studies and analytical data; perform calculations relating to engineering problems; perform engineering surveys; inspect construction work; and perform related work as required.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Performs engineering duties in such areas as highways, bridges or facilities in accordance with sound engineering principles, applicable laws, regulations, and standards under the supervision of senior engineers and in coordination with other District Sections.
- Writes memoranda, letters and technical or general reports to supervisors concerning the status of engineering projects or problems.
- Performs review of consultant designs and contract documents for projects developed for advertisement through MassDOT’s Road and Bridge Program.
- Assists in the preparation of plans, specifications and cost estimates for engineering projects.
- Performs calculations relating to engineering problems.
- Provides engineering data for the preparation and review of engineering or environmental reports and studies.
- Performs general calculations related to bridge design, survey traverses, traffic forecasting, soil capacity, groundwater flow, and quantity of materials by using calculators, computers and other instruments.
- Reviews applications for licenses or permits for the transportation of materials and for the construction of privately funded improvements.
- Acts as an Assistant to the Resident Engineer or Resident Engineer, to inspect construction and maintenance operations on roadway, intersection and bridge improvement projects to ensure that work is being performed according to specifications.
- Participates in field investigations to gather information needed to resolve construction, maintenance, environmental or traffic problems.
- Acts as a Team Member assisting in the inspection of highway bridges.
- Tests materials used in the production of bituminous concrete pavements and cement concrete to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
Applicants for this position must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate engineering discipline for appointment to this position.